March 12, 2008


The Problem with Food:
Did you know that food travels and average of 1300 miles before it reaches the grocery shelves? In addition, for each dollar you spend on produce, only 10 percent of the money returns to the farmer. The other 90% of your money goes to pay for the food transportation, packaging, and marketing.

Top 12 reasons to buy locally:
1) Freshness. Locally-grown organic fruits and vegetables are usually harvested within 24 hours of being purchased by the consumer.
2) Taste. Produce picked and eaten at the height of freshness tastes better.
3) Nutrition. Nutritional value declines, often dramatically, as time passes after harvest. Locally-grown produce is freshest, it is more nutritionally complete.
4) Purity. Eighty percent of American adults say they are concerned about the safety of the food they eat. They worry about residues of pesticides and fungicides. These materials are not permitted in an organic production system either before or after harvest.
5) Regional Economic Health. Buying locally grown food keeps money within the community. This contributes to the health of all sectors of the local economy, increasing the local quality of life.
6) Variety. Organic farmers selling locally are not limited to the few varieties that are bred for long distance shipping, high yields, and shelf life. Often they raise and sell wonderful unusual varieties you will never find on supermarket shelves.
7) Soil Stewardship. Soil health is essential for the survival of our species. Conventional farming practices are rapidly depleting topsoil fertility. Creating and sustaining soil fertility is the major objective for organic growers.
8) Energy Conservation. Buying locally grown organic foods decreases dependence on petroleum, a non- renewable energy source. One fifth of all petroleum now used in the United States is used in Agriculture. Organic production systems do not rely upon the input of petroleum derived fertilizers and pesticides and thus save energy at the farm. Buying from local producers conserves additional energy at the distribution level.
9) Environmental Protection. Soil erosion; pesticide contamination of soil, air, and water; nitrate loading of waterways and wells; and elimination of planetary biodiversity are some of the problems associated with today's predominate farming methods. Organic growers use practices that protect soil, air, and water resources; and that promote biodiversity.
10) Cost. Conventional food processes don't reflect the hidden costs of the environmental, health and social consequences of predominate production practices- of, for instance, correcting a water supply polluted by agricultural runoff, or obtaining medical treatment for pesticide induced illness suffered by farmers or consumers. When these and other hidden costs are taken into account, as they should be, locally grown organic foods are seen clearly for the value they are, even if they cost a few pennies more.
11) A Step Toward Regional Food Self Reliance. Dependency on far away food sources leaves a region vulnerable to supply disruptions, and removes any real accountability of producer to consumer. Regional food production systems keep the food supply in the hands of many, providing interesting job and self-employment opportunities, and enabling people to influence how their food is grown.
12) Passing on the Stewardship Ethic. When you buy locally produced organic food you cannot help but raise the consciousness of your friends and family about how food buying decisions can make a difference in your life and the life of your community; and about how this basic act is connected to planetary issues.

What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA):
CSA is a strategy to connect local farmers with local consumers. People make a financial commitment to a farm, and they become shareholders or members of that community, in return they recieve fresh produce every week. Most people pay at the beginning of the season, prices usually range from $300-$600 for 20 weeks of fresh produce. This mutually supportive relationship between local farmers and local consumers, creates economically stable farm operation, in which members are assured the highest quality produce often below retail prices. In return, farmers and growers are guaranteed a reliable market for a diverse selection of crops.

No comments: